This super delicious and authentic Karnataka recipe is our all-time favourite. Easy to make, protein-rich and absolutely delicious, it is coming right from my mom’s kitchen. Serve it along with rice or chapati.
- Green Mango/ Raw unripened mango – 1 (Cut into small cubes)
- Split Pigeon Pea (Toor Dal) – 1 cup
- Green Chilli – 1-2 (depending on spice levels)
- Fresh Coconut – a handful
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Cilantro – to garnish
- Add cut green mangoes, toor dal and green chillies in a pot and pressure cook for 10 mins till the dal is cooked well. I use instant pot and pressure cook it for 4 minutes.
- Once the pressure is released naturally, take out the cooked dal and boil it on a medium flame.
- Add cumin seeds, coconut and salt while boiling. Add water to adjust consistency.
- In a pan, heat oil and let mustard seeds splutter for a few seconds. Add asafoetida and add this to the dal.
- Garnish the dal with cilantro and serve it hot with warm rice.