This healthy birthday cake recipe is absolutely delicious & naturally sweetened with no sugar added. It makes a perfect first birthday cake recipe for babies & for any occasion where the healthier cake can be served. This birthday cake recipe is an inspiration from my Banana pancake recipe. And was discovered on my husband’s birthday.
It was a trial to see if I can bake a healthy cake that would still taste good. This birthday cake recipe turned out to be the best and tasted delicious. It is a perfect cake recipe for little ones as the cake is rich in iron & protein. And very easy to cook. The best part that I love is the cake batter can be made in just one bowl or a blender with just a few ingredients.
Ingredients for the Healthy Birthday Cake Recipe
Dates are the main ingredient for this recipe. It acts as natural sugar, gives colour and a healthier alternative. Dates have a low glycemic index and a great option for diabetics. A lot of loved ones in our family struggle with diabetics and This is also a diabetic-friendly recipe. I have used a generous cup of dates soaked in hot water for up to 2 hours depending on how hard they are.
Eggs are an essential part of the recipe which helps to get a soft and fluffy texture. You can replace the egg with banana and flaxseed to get the same texture. I have used 3 eggs in this recipe. You can replace it with one banana and 1/2 cup flaxseeds.
Peanut Butter or Almond butter is the dairy-free alternative to get the cake dough consistency and adds flavour to the cake. I have used a generous cup of peanut butter in this recipe. Almond butter works best if there is any peanut allergy.
Baking soda and a pinch of salt help in raising while baking the cake.
A drop of Vanilla essence gives a good aroma and flavour to the cake.
Optionally, I have added some dry fruits to garnish. You can eliminate this if you want it nut-free.
Here comes the best part of this recipe that I love about. You do not need to follow a certain way of mixing the dough. Just add all the ingredients mentioned above to a blender and give it a grind to mix well. Observe the batter consistency and adjust peanut butter if the batter is too watery. And pour the batter into a greased cake pan and bake the cake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until you see a brown colouring on the crust.
More Baby-friendly sugar-free Recipes
While sharing this super delicious baby-friendly healthy birthday cake recipe, I want to share more such healthy recipes that I have tried and tested with my little ones.
- Try our Baby-friendly Banana Bread recipe that is a healthy alternative and almost a similar recipe with similar ingredients. Alternatively, you can also use this banana bread as a birthday cake.
- Try our baby-friendly pancake recipe which is great finger food and a healthier option. You can choose to add any kind of fruits to this pancake recipe depending on what your baby likes.
- Teething can be very difficult. Here is our easy 3-ingredient teething biscuit recipe which is sugar-free and works wonders for a teething baby. This can also be used as a snack for babies and toddlers.
- Check other baby recipes that might interest you.
Healthy Birthday Cake Recipe| Gluten-free, Diary free & Grain-free
- Food Processor or Blender
- 1 cup Pitted dates
- 1/2 cup Hot Water
- 1/2 cup Flaxseed (optional)
- 3 nos Eggs
- 1 cup Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 tbsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tbsp Salt
- Soak dates in hot water for upto an hour or two depending on the hardness.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees and grease an 8-inch cake pan with butter or olive oil.
- Add dates & water to a blender and blend them to a smooth paste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender and blend well until a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour in the batter to the cake pan and bake until the colour changes to light golden. About 15- 20 minutes.
- Cool down the cake completely before removing it from the pan and frost with your favourite frosting. Enjoy the guilt-free healthy cake!
- This cake can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week in the refrigerator.
- Use a food processor instead of a blender for an easy & smooth cake batter.
- Garnish with dry fruits & nuts if required.
- Replace eggs with a Banana & Flaxseed for a Vegan version.
- Alternately, you can bake on a gas stop on a preheated cast iron or a crockpot.
- Make sure you have introduced the ingredients separately to your baby and the baby is not allergic to egg or nuts.