Ragi Porridge is a healthy traditional (Grandma’s) recipe for babies. With high nutritional value and soft texture, it is easy to feed baby. In fact, this was one of the first foods we gave to our daughter. The method to prepare the powder is time-consuming. Hence my mom does it in bulk as it can be stored for up to a year. Porridge is done in minutes and can be given to babies 6 months & older.
The best part of this mix is adults can also make a shake using it with milk and drink. It makes a great energy health drink.
The ingredients below are for bulk preparation. You can alter as per your requirement.
INGREDIENTS (For Flour):
- Ragi (Finger Millets) – 1/4 kg
- Jowar – 1/4 kg
- Wheat – 1/4 kg
- Whole Green gram – 1/4 kg
- Groundnuts – 1/4 kg
- Cashew nuts – 100 gm
- Almonds – 100 gm
- Carom seeds (Ajwain) – 10 gm
- Pepper – 10 gm
- Wash & soak Ragi, Jowar, Wheat, Whole green gram, and groundnuts separately in water for 10-12 hours.
- Drain all the water and tie them separately in a thin cloth to sprout overnight. Alternately place it in an airtight container until it sprouts.
- Sprouted grains should be dried completely and dry roast it along with the other ingredients in a light flame till it turns golden brown.
- Roasted ingredients should be mixed well and powdered either in a flour mill or in a mixer grinder at home.
- Once powdered, cool it down and store it in an airtight container.
- The Ragi flour is now ready to be used to make porridge.
INGREDIENTS (Ragi Porridge)
- Ragi flour (made from the above method) – 2 tsp
- Water – As required
- Clarified butter – 1 tsp
- Mix ragi flour and water to a liquid consistency.
- Bring them to boil for 5 mins.
- Add clarified butter & mix well
- Cooldown the porridge & it is now ready to be fed.
- You can add other grains to the flour as per your requirement.
- Porridge should be well cooked & be of a creamy consistency before feeding to a baby.
Check for more healthy & easy baby recipes on my website.